I have just completed this dress from 1974, Vogue Americana - Carol Horn 1032, using op-shop cotton fabric, and eco-dyeing techniques.
I don't know the names of all the leaves I used, but it included lavender sprigs, broken oak leaves, eucalyptus leaves, and one unidentified leaf - some "windfall" I found on a walk to the supermarket. These were all placed between the folded fabric and bundled tightly with yarn.
I cooked this in a leftover dyebath from a few weeks ago - I had left the liquid in the pan after my last dye lot. The dyebath actually had a little stuff starting to grow on the surface, but I think that all just adds to the natural dye mix...at least I hope so :-)
I cooked the bath, just under a simmer, for an hour and left it overnight to cool. Normally I am far too impatient and curious to leave the bundles before unwrapping them, but I forced myself. In the morning the water looked black and I thought I had left it too long, and it would all be black. It is such fun opening the bundles, always a surprise, and they turned out really good!
The dress was super easy to make. I had the size 10 pattern, from an op-shop, and was not sure it would fit. I seem to be a 12 in both vintage and modern patterns, so I only used a 1cm seam allowance instead of 1.5cms. This gave me a little extra room, and I think it fits really well.
I have been making more 60s and 70s dresses lately, with satisfying results. I think I will make many more.
BTW - these photos were taken along the waterfront where my BF and I go for our daily bicycle ride. It is just lovely...
It was a great night for a ride, lots of people sharing the path :-)