Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mondrian inspired...

I have always loved Yves Saint Laurent's "Mondrian" dress, from 1967...



...and have wanted to make a dress in this style for some time.  Well, I did - last week.  Just in time to wear to an exhibition in Melbourne last Thursday.


I drafted the pattern myself, and it is a little different from the original...but similar enough that the ladies at the exhibition recognised it.  What a relief :-)

I needed to add tucks after completion because the "shift" silhouette was not very flattering.  But overall I am happy with it...after all I am no YSL!

6 comments:

  1. Very nicely done! I made a copy of the YSL dress for myself last year. The trick is that the pattern pieces are not rectangles; the darts are all transferred into the seams between the color blocks and black strips.
    Here's my version:
    http://thereshesews.blogspot.com/2010/04/ysl-mondrian-dress-finished.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved this YSL dress. You did a fabulous interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your version of this dress - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback :-)

    @ Welmoed - will check your link out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! This dress has always been in my sights. You did a fabulous version!

    ReplyDelete