I made a new 30s day dress last week, as well as a headpiece.
I self drafted the pattern based on this illustration...
...which I found on the www. I used some vintage rayon from Etsy, and some black rayon from my favourite fabric store, Joys, in Geelong. I used my basic dress block to create the pattern. The dress has waist and bust darts in the front, and waist and shoulder darts in the back. All of the edges, except the neck, have been finished using my overlocker's rolled hem - which seems to encourage movement in the flounces. The neck is finished with bias binding.
The headpiece began as a plain, wide headband. I hand sewed all the ribbon flowers, and sewed them in place after sewing the veiling on. I am really happy with the end result...but I quickly remembered why I don't wear headbands...because they are uncomfortable :-)
I love the dress, and think the complete outfit looks really great - I also received lots of compliments - so I guess it is a success.