Recently I have been making quite a few mail order patterns, the fit seems just right. This dress, postmarked 1959, is fast becoming one of my faves.
I made the dress using vintage (36 inches wide) rayon from an op-shop, and modern white linen...there was not enough of the rayon to complete the garment. I had to choose between sleeves or "self" fabric front bodice. I also mistakenly cut two back bodices instead of one on the fold, and due to the fabric limitation I needed to be inventive...so I added a back vent in the white.
Once again, the mail order pattern was a dream to put together, my only alteration being the removal of the large front pleat, and inclusion of a side zip. The "shirtwaist" is purely visual in this instance. My piece of vintage rayon was so limited, I had to minimise any excess. I also added a small kick pleat at centre back for ease of movement.
I team this dress with red patent leather belt and shoes, and feel like a million dollars! This is one of those dresses that is really easy to put on and accessorise, but looks like I've put in way more effort than I have.
BTW - I am going on a school excursion today to the Bendigo Gallery to see an exhibition of Grace Kelly's gowns...I am so excited, and have made a new mail order dress to wear - photo to come.