Monday, July 19, 2010

Red blouse

My red blouse was inspired by a discontinued blouse pattern I found online @ pattern retrospective...

this is the original...

this is my interpretation...

Mine is a little different, in that the "v" is wider on my blouse than in the original picture. This was only my second attempt to draft a pattern from an image. My first attempt was a red dress (made from the same fabric) with ruching at the waist darts. The fabric is a light, semi-transparent crepe I found at my local op-shop for $3.00. There was about 2.5 - 3 metres at 150 cms wide, with only one small moth hole, which I simply avoided whilst cutting. My skirt was actually a strapless dress I bought at another op-shop for $5.00, but it was too big. I loved the fabric, and the net underskirt so I cut off the top and added a wide, elastic waistband and...voila!!!

I have been a sewer for a long mum, granny, and great-granny have all taught me sewing, knitting, cross stitch etc, but I never imagined I would be able to draft my own patterns. This year, in an effort to improve my sewing and finishing skills, I enrolled in an advanced sewing class at my local haberdashery. My teacher, Anette, could see and hear my enthusiasm for pattern making and vintage design. She encouraged me to enrol in fashion design and technology at my local college. I was allowed a late enrolment, and started two weeks later. Now I am able to draft my own patterns...yay!!!

I must tell you that my boyfriend paid for me to do the advanced sewing class, which has opened up a whole new experience to me, and basically changed my thank you, Bat Man xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment