Sunday, July 25, 2010

What if...

Recently I have found myself pondering...what if my mother and grandmother had saved all their lovely clothes and accessories for me; what if they knew that one day I would want them for myself. I was thinking about this again today because my boyfriend and I went to the Mill Market, a huge venue filled with retro clothing, among other things. I saw a 'glomesh' clutch...and remembered my mum had one. Then I remembered all the lovely clutch purses she owned...and matching shoes (too small for me)...and nice dresses too. I then began to imagine the lovely clothes my grandmother would have owned, as a 21 year old in 1952.

What got me thinking about this in the first place was a visitor where I work. I am a "tea lady" in a nursing home, and I was telling one of the resident's daughters that I had started studying fashion design, and of my love of vintage. She responded with what I imagine is all too familiar...oh, if only I hadn't thrown all of mum's clothes away, you would have loved them. And, yes, I would have loved them because this lady's mum would have been a very beautiful and fashionable young woman. She is still beautiful, in her nineties.

I am very fortunate to have one item, my most prized fashion-related possession...a small black handbag that belonged to my great-grandmother.

I don't know when it was made, but it is vinyl, or similar man-made product, and has a lovely multi-toned gray closure...


I absolutely love this bag; its simplicity, size, and style - but more importantly, because it belonged to my great-grandmother. I use it everyday!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is an adorable bag. You are so fortunate to have it.

    I love the hollywood shorts and the red blouse you made. They are both very gorgeous. I'm putting you on my blog roll so I'll know when you post.

    I love vintage as well and have made a few items. Hope to make more soon.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com
    www

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trudy, I am lucky to have this bag...a relative packed up the house upon her death before we arrived, so we have very few of her things at all. I have her treadle sewing machine, a dress ring, and a porcelain doll. I have these because they were passed down to me before she died.

    ReplyDelete